And as expected, no Longwood Gardens yet again. My boyfriend’s sister got out of the hospital yesterday but nothing was really solved so this trip is delayed until she’s a bit more stable again. Oh well, there’s nothing we can really do about this situation and we don’t want to go without her so we’ll just have to wait :/
Anyways I’ll take this time to give you a general update about school and things to expect this semester
Metals and Jewelry
- Biweekly homework assignments. We will be asked to make wearable pieces out of objects we can find around our home. Example, my first assignment is to make a wearable piece out of paper.
- Name Plate. We’ll get a 2”x4” piece of metal that we will design our name into
- Wearable: Like our homework assignments, instead we get to use metals. The only thing it can’t be is a ring since we will be doing that later
- Vessel from an admirer: 35mm box/cylinder/cone/anything with a lid/etc that pays homage to someone we admire
- Ring. Self explanatory
- Final: Whatever I want to do. God I hate when it’s self directed >.>
- This is split into three sections, three different professors. Each section is four weeks long.
- 1st: Pecha Kucha. It’s a 20 slide powerpoint presentation on who you are and what is your work, 20 seconds for each slide. It’s up to you on how you present it, and just this year the presentations will be open to the whole campus. I am so NOT thrilled about this. I don’t even know if I’d be able to show this to you guys >.>
- 2nd: Website! Yes! My own website!
- 3rd: Professional Documents. I believe this means resumes and stuff, which is great because that is something else I need.
- Final Project: Cube. We will be giving a 6x6x6 in cube that is open on one side and we can do whatever we want to it. These will be put into an exhibit at the end of the semester.
- I won’t have my first class of this until Thursday, but I already know this is where we will start figuring out what exactly it is I want to do for thesis.
- In other words, a couple small bodies of work will come out of this and eventual one will be expanded upon and be my thesis work
- I just found out the other day that this was actually going to happen. Once a week I will meet with my photo professor for about an hour or so and do stuff. I will mainly use this time as to get extra help with thesis, but I can also learn other things! We already discussed learning to use external lights/reflectors/ and other equipment like that. I need to think of a few other things I’d be interested in learning about.
I’m also taking an Art History class *1900s-1950s* and a class called Science in Visual Art *taught by my photo professor*. No art making will be going on in those classes but I’m required to go to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts for both of them. I’m going to talk to those professors to see if I can be allowed to tackle those requirements in one trip, but I’m basically going into Philly at least once this semester lol
Also, our annual Art Department field trip to New York is October 23rd this year! We go and visit a bunch of museums for fun, and I also take this time to visit my friend Bean.
For those who are new to my blog, I work on campus as a photographer. I mainly do campus events *ex: I just took pictures at our back to school picnic just the other day. I got to shoot from the roof of the library for the first time! :D*, but every once in awhile I’ll get assigned to do some portraits or work at an open house taking photos of families in front of a backdrop. Every once in awhile I like a picture enough to put on here for my own sake.
My school has a Flickr account for the photos that my coworkers and I take, so you should check that out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arcadiaunivnews/
I also just signed up to be a lab monitor for the darkroom again. 6-9pm on Mondays and maybe 7-9pm on Wednesdays if no one else wants the slot.
aaannnnddd that should be it! I’ll try to set up some older photos to upload. Until then, have a good week!